This category relates to the "bureaucratic" aspects of the program, including gaining admission, registering for classes, or filing for graduation.

Academic Standards

The MS in Telecommunications requires that students meet and maintain satisfactory academic standards. These standards are measured by the student's grade point average (GPA) and the number of unsatisfactory grades a student may earn during his enrollment as a graduate student.

Contact Information

The M.S. in Telecommunications program (TCOM) has a student list-serve by which information is shared on a regular basis regarding upcoming classes, opportunities for internships and teaching assistantships, social and academic gatherings, and other pertinent information.  Please make sure that your Mason e-mail account is operational and has not reached its maximum quota, so that you may receive important information from the program office and the university in general. 
If you need to contact the TCOM office directly, please click here

Policies and Procedures

Each student is responsible for knowing George Mason's rules, regulations, requirements, and academic policies.  The university catalog is the official repository of policy statements, but corrections, changes, or interpretations can be promulgated by other means, including electronic publication.

Transfer of Credit Request

Purpose: This form is used to request that credit earned before a student enrolled in the MS in Telecommunications be applied to that degree. Most commonly, this form is used by students who were originally admitted in non-degree status to transfer their credits into the degree program. Additionally, students who earned applicable credit at another university use this form to apply for transfer of such credits.
Submit the completed form together with pertinent transcripts to the Program Office.

Change of Program

Purpose: The Change of Program form is used by students who are currently enrolled in another graduate degree program at George Mason University and wish to pursue the MS in Telecommunications instead. Changing the degree program is an important decision that should be carefully considered and discussed with your current advisor and the Program Director of the Telecommunications program.
The form is also used by current Telecommunications students who wish to pursue another degree program.

Graduate/Non-Degree Graduate Studies Application for Re-enrollment and Adding Degree and Non Degree

Purpose: Students who do not register for classes in two consecutive semester are considered inactive and must re-enroll before they can register for classes. The re-enrollment form is used to apply for re-enrollment. A student applying for re-enrollment must make a credible case that she will not exceed the university's six-year time-limit on Master's degrees despite their extended absence from the program.
Submit the completed form and any supporting documents to the Program Office. 

Add Certificate Program( Declaration of Secondary Graduate Program)

Purpose: Students enrolled in the MS in Telecommunications can choose to pursue one of our graduate certificates in addition to their Master's degree. Students should discuss with their advisor if their plan of studies supports the certificate and make changes to that plan if needed. The completed form must be submitted to the Program Office.

Master's Degree Plan of Study Form

Purpose: The plan serves as a roadmap for the student during the course of the program; it is developed in consultation with the student's advisor. Most importantly, the plan of studies signed by the advisor or Program Director assures students that they are on track for the MS in Telecommunications, and possibly one or more graduate certificates. As long as a student follows an approved plan of studies, their graduation application will be approved.

Substitution/Waiver Form

Purpose: The substitution/waiver form is used to request that a requirement in a student’s academic program, either MS in Telecommunications or a graduate certificate, be met by an alternate course. Such an alternate course may either be a transfer course from a different institution, even though it is not considered equivalent to a Mason course, or a Mason course not usually applied to meet the requirement. 


The following links lead to forms frequently used by students in the Telecommunications program. On each of the subsequent pages, you will find a brief explanation of the form and how to fill it out together with a link that allows you to down load the form.